find job in canada

How to Get Accredited to Work in Canada


How to Get Accredited to Work in Canada – You might be thinking of applying for a job in Canada and not being sure if you need to get accredited, if you qualify or how you can actually get accredited? One thing you should know is that immigrating to Canada is not as difficult as it seems and it becomes much easier if you will be working as a skilled worker in Canada.

Particularly, if you are going to be working under the skilled jobs or trades job, you will certainly need to be accredited as your credentials need to be equivalent to the Canadian standard.

Presently, Canada is looking to boost its economy and it is has initiated a plan to welcome over 1.23 million immigrants into the country within the next three years and for you to be among the successful immigrants to come into Canada, you will have to meet the requirements for application. Many applicants get rejected either because they do not meet the requirement set out for an immigration program or they do not meet the deadline. But whichever reason for your rejection, we are here to make sure your application this time turns out to be successful.

There are over 100 immigration programs you can go through to immigrate to Canada and whichever pathways you choose to follow, you will have to make sure you meet the criteria and if you need to be accredited, you have to do so.

How to find out if you need accreditation

You will certainly need your documents to be assessed if you fall under the following categories:

  • If you plan to study in Canada
  • If you plan to immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker through the Federal Skilled Workers Program under the Express Entry System
  • If you plan to immigrate to Canada under a specific profession or skilled trade

What are credentials needs to be assessed?

If you want to get a job in Canada, the credentials you are presenting will need to be assessed and the credentials that need to be assessed are:

  • Work experience
  • Professional credentials
  • Educational certificates (if you studied outside Canada)

How To Get Accredited As A Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)

If you are planning on immigrating to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker through the Federal Skilled workers Program, then you sure know that your credentials will have to be assessed and you will have to get Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) if you acquired your educational credential outside Canada.


It is not only limited to educational credentials as your skills; training and work experience are also assessed and accredited.

What Jobs in Canada Need Accreditation?

Like you have seen that some jobs in Canada most especially the medical and trades jobs need accreditation as your skills and experience will have to be assessed.

Well, there are two kinds of jobs in Canada under which all jobs fall under; we have the regulated and non-regulated jobs.

Let’s look at these jobs…

The Regulated jobs

When we talk about the regulated jobs, they are jobs that are controlled by provinces and territories in Canada and in some cases, federal laws. These jobs are also regulated by regulatory bodies or apprenticeship authorities. These bodies or authorities are there to make sure that the employees are qualified and are the best fit for the job.

If you want to get a job in Canada that is under the regulated jobs, you will have to meet some requirements like:

  • Be registered with a regulatory body or authority for your job or profession in the province you want to work
  • Get a license or certificate
  • Having the skill and training that match the job’s standard
  • Having your language and communication skills tested

You should know that the requirements for these jobs vary from one province to another as each province sets its requirements to meet its economic needs. So your credentials and training will be matched against the Canadian standard to show that you are qualified.

Your language skill will also be tested as you will be tested in the four communication skills (reading, writing, speaking and listening) to see that you meet the Canadian language proficiency standard whether in English or French. Some of the jobs in Canada that need accreditation are professional jobs like:

  • Registered nurses
  • Electricians
  • Doctors
  • Plumbers
  • Trade jobs
  • Baker
  • Architect

The Non-Regulated jobs

This class of job does not really need accreditation or assessment but in some cases your employer might need to assess you. So on whatever ground, you will have to be accredited so as to boost your chances of landing the job and immigrating to Canada.

What are the Credential Assessment Processes?

First Step: You create a job market report

You can create a job market report by using Job Bank which is the official government job search platform in Canada. In this platform, you will find information about your job roles, salaries and wages, training, skill and experience requirement and also if the job is regulated or not.

You will also get contact information about the regulatory body or authority for the job.

Second Step: Find your occupational profile

You will have to fill in your National Occupation Classification (NOC) code and also the province you want to work in and this will help you k now whether the job is regulated or not. It will also help you know the skill level and type and if you will need to be accredited by a regulatory body or Red Seal for trade jobs.

Most trade jobs like mechanics, electrician and others need a Red Seal certification.

Third Step: Contact a regulatory body

Once you are sure that your occupation has a regulatory body or authority, you will have to contact the body in the province you want to work in Canada and find out the training, experience, skill or certification that needs to be accredited. Your language or communication skills can be assessed even before you come to Canada.

Fourth Step: Gather your documents

You will need to gather your documents and make sure that all the documents required are ready and complete. Most rejection are as a result of incomplete papers or documents. Some of the documents you may need are:

  • University or college degree certificates or certificate from trade school
  • Transcript of your grades
  • Letter from regulatory or professional bodies
  • Professional certificates or apprenticeship certificate
  • Letter of reference from your employer
  • Performance review from previous employer
  • Work description and experience on job you have done

READ ALSO: Top 8 Highest Paying IT Jobs in Canada


Related Articles

Back to top button