How to Immigrate to Ontario as a Construction Worker – Are you planning on immigrating to Canada as a construction worker? Then don’t think twice as construction workers are highly needed in Canada at the moment. They have been on the occupation in demand and will always be there as Canada is working towards continuous development.
The need for construction workers is rising in many provinces in Canada and one of the provinces we will be looking at in this article is Ontario. Ontario is one of the thirteen provinces in Canada and is located in central Canada. It is Canada’s most populated province and home for the capital city of Canada, Ottawa. The capital city of Ontario is Toronto which is also the most populated city in Canada. The primary language here is English.
You should know that construction workers are highly needed in this province as it is a commercial and industrious province and home of the most populous city in Canada. What do you expect from a province with a lot of people, you will surely have better job opportunities with higher pay and better living too. Construction workers currently fall under one of the immigration categories in the immigration program of this province and it is the occupation in-demand category. You can apply for permanent residence in Canada through this category. This is a trade job and trade jobs are highly needed in Canada especially Ontario.
Ontario offers you a lot of perks and benefits as it is one of the best provinces to live in although some of the cities are expensive to live in, they still offer higher wages to match the lifestyle. You get to enjoy quality education even for your children and free healthcare services. When you hear that Canadian foods are one of the best in the world, Ontario is one of the homes for Canadian’s finest dishes. You will surely enjoy the province and quality of life here.
How can you become a construction worker in Ontario?
Like we said earlier that construction workers are one of the occupation in-demand in Canada, Ontario to be précised. There are ways you can become a construction worker in Ontario and start enjoying the benefits of being a construction worker.
Construction workers work on different structures like industrial, commercial and residential sites and also work on bridges, railways, tunnels and even pipelines.
Construction workers are under the trade jobs and are regulated by the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009. A qualified worker will have to obtain a certificate of qualification which shows that you have the skills, training, experience and knowledge that allows you to practice the trade. If you are an apprentice and want to complete your apprenticeship program, you must become a member of the Ontario College of Trades and remain an active member for the time of your training.
How Much Do Construction Workers Earn In Ontario?
The average annual salary of a construction worker in Ontario is from around $33, 000 to $53,000 and $25 per hour which is one of the highest in Canada. So if you are planning on immigrating to Canada as a construction worker, you should look at Ontario as they are among the top payers for construction workers in Canada.
How To Immigrate To Ontario In Canada As A Construction Worker
Provincial Nomination Program
The Provincial Nomination Program is for provinces in Canada to nominate skilled workers to the province. It is designed by the provincial governments in partnership with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to help foreigners find work and settle in a particular province. Each province is in charge of its own nomination program and since we are talking about Ontario, we will be talking about the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP)
This program is restricted to the Ontario province in Canada and it is designed to nominate immigrants for permanent residence. The program is an economic immigration program that works in cooperation with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and has pathways through which foreign skilled workers with skills, qualification and experience are nominated to come fill up labour shortages in the province and also contribute to the growth of the province.
You should know that the government of Canada makes the final decision to approve the applications for the candidates even after nomination by the province.
The foreign skilled worker is given a job offer by an employer in Ontario as he has meets the requirements that the province needs and as you now know that a construction worker is needed in Ontario as it is one of the occupations in demand in the province.
We are going to be listing the requirements to qualify for nomination in this province.
- You are expected to have a work experience of 7-9months in Ontario for you to get a permanent residence
- You must have a valid job offer from an employer in Ontario and also have the LMIA
- You must pass the language proficiency test in English and French for writing, reading, speaking and listening.
- You must have the high school diploma or degree in Canada or go through the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) to show that your credential is equivalent to the Canadian standard.
- You must prove that you have enough funds to support your stay in the province
- You must prove that you are going to settle and live in Ontario on a full-time basis and it could be by having a job, buying a property etc.
- You must have no criminal record
The OINP has some immigration streams like:
- Ontario Business
- Ontario Human capital
- Ontario Employer Job offer
Another program you can go through to immigrate to Ontario in Canada as a construction worker is the Federal Skilled Trades Program under the Express Entry System.
The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
The FSTP is one of the federal immigration streams under the Express Entry System (which is an online immigration program that allows you to create a profile online and doesn’t require a job offer like the Provincial Nomination Program). As a construction worker, you fall under the NOC (National Occupation Classification) Major Group 72 which is the industrial, electrical and constructive trades.
The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for qualified trades workers who want to become permanent residents of Canada. When applying through this program, you don’t really need a job offer for you to be eligible.
Let’s list out the eligibility requirements for this program:
- You should not be lower than 18 years of age
- You should have a paid work experience of at least two years whether part-time or full-time
- You must meet the required language level in English or French in each language ability (speaking, writing, reading and listening)
- There is no educational requirement for a skilled trade worker but having it can increase you score.
- You should have sufficient funds to support you to settle in Canada and also take care of any other family member coming with you unless you have a valid job offer
- You must successfully pass the security background check meaning you have no criminal record
- You must pass the medical examination check meaning you are in sound health
READ ALSO: How to Immigrate to Canada as a Dentist